Saturday, October 07, 2006

Yesterday was our first time attending church in Fort Portal, it was really wonderful and encouraging. The singins was infectious and harmonious. We really enjoyed the service and meeting so many new people.

We attended a meeting with the village church leaders and got to hear all of the reports of what is going on in their areas. There were about ten of us there and I was the only lady. They were really nice to us and tried to instruct us on how to greet in their language (Rutooro). We set up a schedule for visiting the villages and we will get to go to three, one of which is to be an overnight visit.

We have each been given Empacos (which is basically nicknames that everyone has and uses when talking to one another). I am called Adyeri, Billy is called Arali and Jacob is Akiki. We have had the chance to take a walk on our own around the busy streets, but we didn't go that far because it was the first full day we were here and I was still nervous. We have also visited two elderly women, one of which is 91 years old. They were both wonderful ladies, but very different. One was soft spoken and sweet, and the other was very boisterous and expressive. We have been invited to spend the night at her house and are seriously considering the opportunity.

We went out on a farm of a friend of Derek's and we had our first fresh guava fruits. They are little hard fruits, you eat the skin and all and they have seeds a little smaller than watermelon seeds. They are bitter on the outside and sweet on the inside, but they are not my favorite fruit to eat. I will stick to the juice.

We have been having a great time, we have spent time with Derek, Ronald and David, and they are all really interesting to be around and talk with. Jacob has really enjoyed Derek, he actually cried when we dropped him off after the first day they met! Derek is really great with Jacob teaching him words and introducing him to cows.

The native cuisine is going to take a little getting used to I am doing better at it than Billy and Jacob is doing best of all! Get this, today when we were meeting with the leaders at a restaurant and we were all served the same meals including chicken stew, rice, matoki, yams and cornmeal mash and some yucky vegetable. You are supposed to dip your starches in the stew and it is actually pretty good. I liked the rice like that. As I was eating I look down and count 3 ants floating in my bowl! Anyone who knows me knows that I can't really handle that sort of a thing well. I just looked at them and continued to eat carefully making sure I was not dipping near the ants! That was a huge step for me, I hope you are all very proud! I didn't eat the chicken itself (not really ready to cross that bridge yet) but it was really tasty.

10 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Aimee Jo said...

I am very proud of you, Bren!! Yummy, what is better than ants in stew?? I can't think of anything!
I am so glad that you had a great time worshipping at the church and visiting with people.
I think about you guys all of the time and wonder what you are doing. Miss you and love you!

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you arrived safely and that you and Billy are both updating us on what is going on!! I am glad that things are going well, and that you are enjoying all the people that you are meeting!! Love and prayers, Fiona

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Andrew Martin said...

Nice job Brenda! I had a feeling that Jacob wouldn't have too much of a problem... that boy will eat anything!

I'm glad you guys are getting out there and getting to know everyone. Say hello to all our friends (the Cashes and everyone else). We love you guys!

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touchdown safely and already blended in with no problems. This is going to be an amazing time and growth period for you guys. God Bless!!!

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left that last message...anonymous...it's Hersh. Let everyone know about the USC Trojans...we need fans worldwide :-)

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brenda and ants...Rob and I are rolling on the floor laughing! Glad all is going well and that God is blessing. COME HOME SOON! Love ya, Mom

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

I am so glad you are trying new things. Continue to venture outside your comfort zone. Thanks for the update!

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear from you. I hope that all is well. What is matoki? What was the yucky veggie? It doesn't really surprise me too much that Jake is doing so well. Keep up the good work and continue to enjoy yourselves!

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger brenda said...

Matoki is like plantano, but not sweet. It is really bland, that is why a lot of their meats are cooked into soup, so there is a lot of dipping sauce for all of the starchy foods. The nasty veggie is similar to collard greens in appearance, but tastes like the cook went outside picked some plant and boiled it and put it on your plate. I dare you to go outside and eat a random leafy green!

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so thankful to be able to experience everything right along with you - thanks for taking the time to write these things down for us at home.

I miss you guys alot but am so thankful that Jacob is doing so well. See you soon!

Love,
Sharon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home